Weight Gain in Pregnancy: An Evidence-Based Analysis
We’ve all seen the cookie cutter “pregnancy weight gain” charts put out by organizations such as the Institute of Medicine, but are these guidelines helpful, accurate, and do they follow the most current evidence? Should we adjust these ranges? Should we abandon weight gain recommendations altogether? Should weight be discussed with all pregnant clients or only select clients? The answers to these questions are surprisingly complex.
In this webinar, you’ll learn:
- The physiological function of weight change during pregnancy
- Overview of weight gain recommendations and data that questions their ranges (for singleton, twin, and triplet pregnancies)
- Data on pregnancy outcomes relative to gestational weight gain
- Eating disorders during pregnancy
- Use of prenatal weight gain grids and other methods for assessing gestational weight gain
- Top 3 ways to support healthy pregnancy weight gain
- Counseling tips for when, how, and if discussing weight gain is appropriate with a client
- Case studies
Length: 90 minutes
ABOUT THE PRESENTER
Lily Nichols is a Registered Dietitian/Nutritionist, Certified Diabetes Educator, researcher, and author with a passion for evidence-based prenatal nutrition. Drawing from the current scientific literature and the wisdom of traditional cultures, her work is known for being research-focused, thorough, and sensible.
She is the author of two bestselling books, Real Food for Pregnancy and Real Food for Gestational Diabetes.
Her work has not only helped tens of thousands of women manage their gestational diabetes (most without the need for blood sugar-lowering medication), but has also influenced nutrition policies internationally. Lily’s clinical expertise and extensive background in prenatal nutrition have made her a highly sought after consultant and speaker in the field.
Professional Disclosure: Lily Nichols is the author of two books, for which she receives royalties: Real Food for Pregnancy & Real Food for Gestational Diabetes.
WHAT PARTICIPANTS ARE SAYING…
“I’m impressed with Lily’s hard work and knowledge. This webinar exceeded my expectations. WHN Academy is a convenient way to get high quality nutrition information from a trustworthy source.”
Jennifer Carlson, MS RD LDN