Basics of Real Food Prenatal Nutrition
Research is constantly evolving, especially in the field of prenatal nutrition, and yet, there’s a lag time between new evidence getting incorporated into public policy and nutrition guidelines. In other words, if you follow the scientific literature, there’s a lot of room for improvement in current prenatal guidelines.
If we want to give pregnant women the best chance of having a healthy pregnancy and a healthy baby, we desperately need to get better, more up-to-date, and scientifically sound advice out there.
In this webinar, you’ll learn:
- What is real food and why it makes sense during (and before) pregnancy
- Where current prenatal nutrition guidelines miss the mark (and how we got where we are)
- Myths surrounding prenatal nutrition and evidence supporting an alternative approach (I’ll cover specific examples including salt, macronutrients, select micronutrients, food safety, and more)
- Are current recommendations really evidence-based?
- Why we need a paradigm shift
- Rationale for a real food diet that incorporates principles from ancestral nutrition/traditional cultures
- Sample meal plans and nutrient breakdown from conventional policy compared to real food.
Length: 90 minutes
ABOUT THE PRESENTER
Lily Nichols is a Registered Dietitian/Nutritionist, Certified Diabetes Educator, researcher, and author with a passion for evidence-based prenatal nutrition. Drawing from the current scientific literature and the wisdom of traditional cultures, her work is known for being research-focused, thorough, and sensible.
She is the author of two bestselling books, Real Food for Pregnancy and Real Food for Gestational Diabetes.
Her work has not only helped tens of thousands of women manage their gestational diabetes (most without the need for blood sugar-lowering medication), but has also influenced nutrition policies internationally. Lily’s clinical expertise and extensive background in prenatal nutrition have made her a highly sought after consultant and speaker in the field.
Professional Disclosure: Lily Nichols is the author of two books, for which she receives royalties: Real Food for Pregnancy & Real Food for Gestational Diabetes.